- A distinct physical object.
- Tweezers are great for manipulating small items.
- A line of text having a legal or semantic meaning.
- In response to the first , we deny all wrongdoing.
- A matter for discussion in an agenda.
- The first for discussion is the budget for next year's picnic.
- (informal) Two people who are having a relationship with each other.
- Jack and Jill are an .
- (context, psychometrics) A question on a test, which may include its answers.
- The exam has 100 items, each of which includes a correct response and three distractors.
Etymology: The word started as item for "also", "in the same manner", and got its present English meaning by people misunderstanding usage in lists where the first entry began "Imprimis" (Latin for "firstly"), and the other entries each started "Item" (Latin for "also"), in former times when most learned people in England knew Latin.
- Dutch: koppeltje
(trans-top, test assessment question)
- Italian: articolo
- French: chose
- Spanish: ítem
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for item for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.