- A non-metric unit of power (symbol hp) with various definitions, the most common of which being approximately equal to 745.7 watts.
- A metric horsepower (symbol often PS from the German abbreviation), approximately equal to 735.5 watts.
- Dutch: paardenkracht (symbol pk)
- French: cheval-vapeur (symbol CV)
- German: Pferdestí¤rke (symbol PS)
- From horse and power, the unit originally being calculated as the amount of power that a horse could provide.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for horsepower for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.