- Made of hemp.
- 1590: Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queen (vol. 1)
- :In fowle reproch of knighthoods faire degree, / About his neck an rope he weares, / That with his glistring armes does ill agree;
- 1891: Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
- :A quiet land is this -- a land where the slow-moving Basque, with his flat biretta-cap, his red sash and his sandals, tills his scanty farm ...
- Related to hempen ropes, i.e., to hanging as capital punishment.
- 1904: Rafael Sabatini, The Tavern Night
- :... but rid himself also of the companionship of this ruffianly Sir Crispin, to whom no doubt a justice would be meted.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hempen for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.