verb (hem, m, ing)
- Someone who is afraid of change to the point of total inaction. (From a book by Spencer Johnson, M.D., Who moved my cheese, about a character who was always against change.)
- (intransitive) (in sewing) To make a hem.
- (intransitive) (in speaking) To make a sound like hem (usually coupled with "haw" as in "hemmed and hawwed.")
- (transitive): To put hem on an article of clothing, to edge or put a border on something.
- (transitive): To surround something or someone in a confining way.
- French: ourler
- German: einengen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hem for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.