- A hind in the year of its age.
- A framework of wood or metal placed over the coffin or tomb of a deceased person, and covered with a pall; also, a temporary canopy bearing wax lights and set up in a church, under which the coffin was placed during the funeral ceremonies.
- A grave, coffin, tomb, or sepulchral monument.
- A bier or handbarrow for conveying the dead to the grave.
- A carriage specially adapted or used for conveying the dead to the grave.
verb (hearses, hearsing, hearsed, hearsed)
- Dutch: lijkwagen
- French: corbillard
- German: Leichenwagen
- Spanish: coche fíºnebre
- (dated) To enclose in a hearse; to entomb.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hearse for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.