Etymology: compound hair + breadth
- the width of a hair, a very short distance or a very small amount
- 1749: Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
- :In short, these kind of missings of happiness look like the insults of Fortune, who may be considered as thus playing tricks with us, and wantonly diverting herself at our expense.
- 1799: Charles Brockden Brown, Edgar Huntly
- :This surely was a day destined to be signalized by escapes.
- 1856: Wilkie Collins, After Dark
- :Measure Maddalena, and measure Minerva, and from forehead to chin, you won't find a of difference between them.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hairbreadth for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.