- a trigger that will set off a firearm when even a very small pressure is applied
- 1847: Francis Parkman, The Oregon Trail
- :... the hunter brings the sight of his rifle to bear; lightly and delicately his finger presses upon the .
- 1872: Mark Twain, Roughing It
- :Is your laugh hung on a ?--that is, is it critical, or can you get it off easy?
Etymology: compound hair + trigger
- unstable, in a situation that could be worsened by the slightest mistake
- easy, easily angered, having a short temper
- 1922: Peter B. Kyne, Cappy Rick Retires
- :"Gus," the latter began, "am I right in assuming that you possess a reasonable amount of influence with that partner of yours, Live Wire Luiz?"
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hair-trigger for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.