Translations: Etymology: Perhaps an abbreviation of hígtesse.
- A witch, sorceress, or enchantress; also, a wizard.
- (pejorative) An ugly old woman.
- A fury; a she-monster.
- An eel-like marine marsipobranch (Myxine glutinosa), allied to the lamprey. It has a suctorial mouth, with labial appendages, and a single pair of gill openings. It is the type of the order Hyperotreti. Called also hagfish, borer, slime eel, sucker, and sleepmarken.
- The hagdon or shearwater.
- An appearance of light and fire on a horse's mane or a man's hair.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hag for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.