- grand unification theory, Grand unification theory.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for GUT for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- The alimentary canal, especially the intestine,
- (informal) The abdomen of a person, especially one that is enlarged
- beer gut
- (uncountable) The intestines of an animal used to make strings of a tennis racket or violin, etc.
verb (gut, t, ed)
- French: boyaux , corde de boyau, cordes de boyau
- Italian: epa (enlarged), pancia
- (transitive) To eviscerate.
- (transitive) To remove or destroy the most important parts of.
- Congress gutted the welfare bill.
- French: vider de sa substance (to remove), délabrer (to destroy)
- German: ausnehmen
(trans-top, To remove or destroy the most important parts of)
- Made of gut, e.g., a violin with gut strings
- instinctive, Instinctive, e.g., a gut reaction
Etymology: Originally in plural, from guttas, probably related to geotan, ÄÄotan, to pour
- French: en boyau (1), viscéral (2)
- German: darmbesaitet (1)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gut for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.