Etymology: golfe, golfo
- A hollow place in the earth; an abyss; a deep chasm or basin.
- (obsolete) That which swallows; the gullet. w:William Shakespeare
- That which swallows irretrievably; a whirlpool; a sucking eddy. w:William Shakespeare
- (geography) A portion of an ocean or sea extending into the land; a partially landlocked sea; as, the Gulf of Mexico or Persian Gulf.
- (mining) A large deposit of ore in a lode.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gulf for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.