noun (groceri, es)
- retail, Retail foodstuffs and other household supplies.
- 1776: s:Adam Smith, Adam Smith, s:The Wealth of Nations/Book I/Chapter 10, The Wealth of Nations
- :Where ten thousand pounds can be employed in the trade, the wages of the grocer's labour make but a very trifling addition...
- A shop or store that sells groceries; a grocery store.
- 1854: s:Henry David Thoreau, Henry David Thoreau, s:Walden/Chapter_VIII, Walden
- :I observed that the vitals of the village were the , the bar-room, the post-office, and the bank...
Etymology: From French grosserie, "wholesale".
- Dutch: kruidenier
- French: épicerie
- German: Lebensmittelhandlung , Greiíčlerei
- Spanish: abarrotería (italbrac, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama), abasto (italbrac, Venezuela), almacén (italbrac, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay), bodega (italbrac, Colombia, Cuba, Peru, Venezuela), colmado (italbrac, originally Spain - now especially Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico), pulpería (italbrac, Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua), tienda de abarrotes (italbrac, Bolivia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Panama, Peru), tienda de barrio (italbrac, Bolivia) , tienda de ultramarinos (italbrac, Spain), trucha (italbrac, Northern Honduras)
(trans-top, retail foodstuffs and other household supplies)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for grocery for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.