- (US, colloquial) One thousand dollars.
- One thousand pounds sterling.
Translations: Etymology: , from graunt, from grantOld French, grant/French, grand, from (term, grandis).
- Of large size or extent; great; extensive; hence, relatively great; greatest; chief; principal; as, a grand mountain; a grand army; a grand mistake.
- Great in size, and fine or imposing in appearance or impression; illustrious, dignifled, or noble (said of persons); majestic, splendid, magnificent, or sublime (said of things); as, a grand monarch; a grand lord; a grand general; a grand view; a grand conception.
- Having higher rank or more dignity, size, or importance than other persons or things of the same name; as, a grand lodge; a grand vizier; a grand piano, etc.
- Standing in the second or some more remote degree of parentage or descent; -- generalIy used in composition; as, grandfather, grandson, grandchild, etc.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for grand for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.