- the body with the power to make and/or enforce laws for a country, land area, people, or organization.
- a group of people who hold a monopoly on the legitimate use of force in a given territory.
- the state and its administration viewed as the ruling political power.
- the management or control of a system.
- the tenure of a chief of state.
Etymology: From Latinised Greek gubernatio "management, government", from Ancient Greek , (kybernismos, kybernesis) "steering, pilotage, guiding", from (kybernao) "to steer, to drive, to guide, to act as a pilot" + -ment.
- Dutch: regering(nl)
- French: gouvernement(fr)m
- German: Regierung(de)f
- Italian: governo(it)m
- Spanish: gobierno(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for government for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.