- (transitive) To make and administer the public policy and affairs of; to exercise sovereign authority in.
- (transitive) To control the actions or behavior of; to keep under control; to restrain.
Translations: Etymology: (term, gubernare), from Ancient Greek (term, , , to steer, to drive, to guide, to act as a pilot, sc=Grek, tr=kybernao)
- Govern yourselves like civilized people.
- a student who could not his impulses.
- (transitive) To exercise a deciding or determining influence on.
- Chance usually governs the outcome of the game.
- (transitive) To control the speed, flow etc. of; to regulate.
- a valve that governs fuel intake.
- (intransitive) To exercise political authority; to run a government.
- (intransitive) To have or exercise a determining influence.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for govern for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.