- A monetary system where the value of circulating money is linked to the value of gold.
- 2002, Philip Ball, The Elements: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford 2004, p. 57
- :In countries that accepted the , currency could be exchanged at a bank for a fixed weight of gold.
- (idiom) A test or measure of comparison that is considered ultimate or ideal.
- The OED is the for English dictionaries. Everyone wants to see how their version measures up to that ideal.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gold standard for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.