verb (inf=to give over, gives over, giving over, gave over, given over)
- (transitive) To entrust something to another.
- She gave the deeds over to the solicitor for safe-keeping.
- (reflexive) To devote oneself to a particular activity.
- He gave himself over to a monastic life.
- (context, UK, idiom)Usually as an imperative. To tell someone to stop molesting, fooling around, or saying silly things. Or sometimes to stop saying flattering things.
- Give over with your nonsense, will you!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for give over for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.