verb (inf=to give out, gives out, giving out, gave out, given out)
- transitive. to utter, publish; to announce, proclaim, report. to give (it) out: to profess, give it to be believed that. also, to give (a person) out to be (so and so), and absol
- to announce (a hymn) to be sung; to read out (the words) for the congregation to sing
- to send forth, emit; to cause to be sent forth. also, to put forth, utter (prayers)
- to issue; to distribute
- Can you help me to the new books to the class, please?
- intransitive of persons: to desist (in later use, to desist through exhaustion of strength or patience). of an implement, a limb, a machine, etc.: to break down, get out of order, fail. of a supply: to run short, come to an end
- So your old car finally gave out, did it?
- (Ireland, idiomatic). To complain, sulk, chastise.
- You shouldn't to your brother like that.
- He was always giving out about the weather.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for give out for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.