- (uncountable) (North America) A fluid consisting of a mixture of refined petroleum hydrocarbons, primarily consisting of octane, and commonly used as a motor fuel; petrol.
- (countable) A type of gasoline (from meaning 1).
Etymology: gas + chemical suffix -ine
- Dutch: benzine , naft (Belgium, slang)
- French: essence , gas (italbrac, Canadian French)
- German: Benzin
- Italian: benzina
- Spanish: gasolina , bencina (italbrac, Chile), nafta (italbrac, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gasoline for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.