noun (plural gallons)
- A unit of volume, equivalent equivalent to eight pints or
- in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth of Nations exactly 4.54609 liters (an imperial gallon) and
- in the United States
- 231 cubic inches or approximately 3.785 liters for liquids (a U.S. liquid gallon) or
- one-eighth of a U.S. bushel or approximately 4.405 liters for dry goods (a U.S. dry gallon).
- (in plural gallons; colloquial) A large quantity (of any liquid).
- The pipe burst and gallons of water flooded into the kitchen.
- Spanish: galón
(trans-top, A Gallon in the U.S. Customary System)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gallon for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.