noun (plural: gadflies)
- Any dipterous insect of the genus Oestrus, and allied group of botfly, botflies.
- A fly of various species, of the family Tabanidae, noted for buzzing about animals and sucking their blood.
- A horsefly.
- One who upsets the status quo by posing upsetting or novel questions, or attempt to stimulate innovation by proving an irritant wikipedia:gadfly (social), see Wikipedia.
- (slang) A bloodsucker
- He's a regular and takes advantage of his friend's generosity.
- Dutch: paardenvlieg , horzel or
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gadfly for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.