- A device which separates a suspended, dissolved, or particulate matter from a fluid, solution, or other substance; any device that separates one substance from another.
- Electronics or software that separates unwanted signals (for example noise) from wanted signals or that attenuates selected frequencies.
- Any item, mechanism, device or procedure that acts to separate or isolate.
- He runs an email to catch the junk mail.
- Dutch: filter(nl)m
- German: Filter
- Spanish: filtro
- (transitive) To sort, sift, or isolate.
- This strainer should out the large particles.
- (transitive) To diffuse; to cause to be less concentrated or focused.
- The leaves of the trees filtered the light.
- (intransitive) To pass through a filter or to act as though passing through a filter.
- The water filtered through the rock and soil.
- (intransitive) To move slowly or gradually; to come or go a few at a time.
- The crowd filtered into the theater.
Etymology: (noun) From filtrum.
- Dutch: (t, nl, sijpelen), (t, nl, druppelen)
- Spanish: filtrarse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for filter for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.