- Something, such as a yeast that causes fermentation.
- A state of agitation or of turbulent change.
- A catalyst.
- To produce alcohol by allowing yeast to act on sugars in a mixture, to brew.
- To stir up, agitate, cause unrest.
Etymology: (term, fermentare, , to leaven, ferment, lang=la) < (term, fermentum, , substance causing fermentation, lang=la) < (term, fervere, , to boil, seethe, lang=la). Confer French (term, ferment, lang=fr), see also (term, fervent).
- Dutch: stoken
- German: stí¶ren, anstacheln
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ferment for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.