- A hand-held device consisting of concertinaed material, or slats of material, gathered together at one end, that may be opened out into the shape of a sector of a circle and waved back and forth in order to move air towards oneself and cool oneself.
- An electrical device for moving air, used for cooling people, machinery, etc.
- Anything resembling a hand-held fan in shape, e.g., a peacock"s tail.
verb (fan, n, ing)
- Dutch: ventilator
- French: ventilateur
- German: Fí¤cher
- Italian: ventilatore
- Spanish: ventilador
- (transitive) To blow air on (something) by means of a fan (hand-held, mechanical or electrical) or otherwise.
- We enjoyed standing at the edge of the cliff, being fanned by the wind.
- (intransitive) (usually to fan out) To move or spread in multiple directions from one point, in the shape of a hand-held fan.
- German: fí¤chern (fan), auffí¤chern (fan out)
- Spanish: abanicar (with a manual fan), ventilar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for fan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.