verb (evokes, evoking, evoked)
- To cause the manifestation of something (emotion, picture, etc.) in someone's mind or imagination.
- Being here evokes long forgotten memories.
- Seeing this happen equally evokes fear and anger in me.
- The book evokes a detailed and lively picture of what life was like in the 19th century.
Etymology: From Latin evocare, "to call out", "to summon", from ex-, "out" and vocare, "to call" (confer English "voice"), via French évoquer.
- French: évoquer
- German: hervorrufen, heraufbeschwí¶ren
- Italian: evocare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for evoke for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.