- A rough calculation or guess.
- (context, construction) A document (or verbal notification) specifying how much a job will probably cost.
verb (estimates, estimating, estimated, estimated)
- Dutch: schatting
- French: estimation
- German: Kostenvoranschlag
- Italian: stima
- to calculate roughly, often from imperfect data
Etymology: From ancient Latin word aes timare ("to value copper", note: copper was the currency in Ancient Rome).
- Dutch: schatten
- French: estimer
- German: abschí¤tzen, schí¤tzen
- Italian: stimare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for estimate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.