Translations: Etymology: From astat, from estat (French: état).
- (legal) Technically, the nature and extent of a person's interest in, or ownership of, land.
- Broadly, applies to all that a person owns, whether real property, real or personal property, personal property.
- An area on land under single ownership. (w:Estate (house))
- The property of a deceased person.
- A group of buildings built together as a single development on a designated area of land. (w:Housing estate)
- A general collective noun.
- (context, UK, automotive) An estate car; the body style for cars, popular with families, which has an enclosed area where the boot or trunk would be on a sedan / saloon.
- A major social class or order of persons regarded collectively as part of the body politic of the country and formerly possessing distinct political rights (w:Estates of the realm)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for estate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.