- (context, obsolete, or, historical) possession, Possession by a god; divine inspiration or frenzy.
- 1946: The intoxication that they sought was that of "", of union with the god. " Bertrand Russell, History of Western Philosophy, ch. 1
- Intensity of feeling; excited interest or eagerness.
Etymology: First attested from w:1603, 1603, from Ancient Greek (polytonic, á), from (polytonic, á) "possessed by a god", from (polytonic, á-) "in" + (polytonic, ) "god".
- Dutch: enthousiasme , geestdrift
- French: enthousiasme
- German: Begeisterung , Enthusiasmus
- Italian: entusiasmo
- Spanish: entusiasmo
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for enthusiasm for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.