- something which softens or lubricates the skin
- 1993: It must be most painful to have a hard rod thrust into the nether orifice. That was a most painful punishment you had for the King in your play. Painful but fitting. "There are emollients, Kit said, oil, butter and the like. The pleasure is considerable. " Anthony Burgess, A Dead Man in Deptford
- anything soothing, or that makes something more acceptable
- 2004: Attentive conversation is an I lack sorely aboard Prophetess & the doctor is a veritable polymath. " David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
- Italian: emolliente , demulcente (all senses)
Etymology: emollient-, present participle stem of emoliare "make soft", from e- + mollis "soft".
- Italian: emolliente, demulcente (all senses)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for emollient for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.