- An order by the government prohibiting ships from leaving port.
- A ban on trade with another country.
- 2004: w: Chris Wallace (journalist), Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- : Instead he Jefferson proposed an , an end to all trade between America and England.
- A temporary ban on making certain information public.
- This copy of the federal budget is under until 2 p.m.
verb (embargoes, embargoing, embargoed, embargoed)
- Italian: embargo
- Italian, embargo
Etymology: From embargar 'to arrest'.
- (transitive) To impose an embargo on trading certain goods with another country.
- (transitive) To impose an embargo on a document.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for embargo for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.