- (given name, male), an occasional spelling variant of Ernest.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Earnest for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
verb to earnest
- Seriousness; reality; fixed determination; eagerness; intentness.
- To use in earnest.
Etymology: Old English eornost
- ardent, Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do; zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavour; heartfelt; fervent; hearty; -- used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers.
- Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- serious, Serious; important.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for earnest for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.