- Combat between two persons, primarily over a matter of personal honor.
- A struggle between two contending ideas.
verb (duels, dueling, dueled) US
(duels, duelling, duelled) UK
- Dutch: duel , tweegevecht
- French: duel(fr)m
- German: Zweikampf , Duell
- Italian: duello
- Spanish: duelo (1,2)
- To engage in a duel.
Etymology: duellum (fight between two men, under influence from duoLatin, duo) < Old duellum (=bellum, war) < (PIE.) base
- Dutch: duelleren
- Italian: duellare
- deu- (to injure, destroy, burn). Cognate with Ancient Greek (misery, pain) and with w:Duellona, Duellona (goddess of war).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for duel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.