- A male bee or wasp, which does not work but can fertilise the queen.
- An unmanned aircraft.
- A low-pitched hum or buzz.
- 1908: w:Kenneth Grahame, Kenneth Grahame, w:The Wind in the Willows, The Wind in the Willows
- : He chanted as he flew and the car responded with sonorous .
- One of the fixed-pitch pipes on a bagpipe.
verb (dron, ing)
- Dutch: bourdon
- German: Basspfeife
- Italian: fuco
- Spanish: zumbido
- To produce a low-pitched hum or buzz.
- To speak in a monotone way.
Etymology: Old English dran, drÄn "male bee", from Germanic
- Dutch: brommen, eentonig spreken
- German: eintí¶nig sprechen
- dran-. Cognate with dialectal German Dríne.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for drone for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.