- (transitive) To detect with the senses, especially with the eyes.
- (transitive) To perceive, recognize, or comprehend with the mind; to descry.
- (transitive) To distinguish something as being different from something else; to differentiate.
- He was too young to right from wrong.
- (intransitive) To perceive differences.
Etymology: From discerner.
- German: erkennen, wahrnehmen
- Spanish: vislumbrar(es)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for discern for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.