- (context, obsolete, rare) dearness, Dearness; the quality of being rare or costly.
- A period or condition when food is rare and hence expensive; famine.
- 1608, William Shakespeare, King Lear:
- :I promise you, the effects he writes of succeed unhappily: as of unnaturalness between the child and the parent; death, , dissolutions of ancient amities; divisions in state, menaces and maledictions against king and nobles; needless diffidences, banishment of friends, dissipation of cohorts, nuptial breaches, and I know not what.
- (context, by extension) scarcity, Scarcity; a lack or short supply.
- French: pénurie
Etymology: Middle English deríe, probably from Old English
- German: Fehlen , Mangel
- German: Hungersnot
- dieríu; corresponding to dear + -th.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dearth for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.