- (geometry) A surface created by projecting a closed two-dimensional curve along an axis intersecting the plane of the curve.
- When the two-dimensional curve is a circle, the cylinder is called a circular cylinder. When the axis is perpendicular to the plane of the curve, the cylinder is called a right cylinder. In non-mathematical usage, both 'right and circular are usually implied.
- (geometry) A solid figure bounded by a cylinder and two parallel planes intersecting the cylinder.
- Any object in the form of a circular cylinder.
- 1898 " w:H. G. Wells, H. G. Wells, http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds The War of the Worlds Ch.4
- :A big greyish rounded bulk, the size, perhaps, of a bear, was rising slowly and painfully out of the .
- A cylindrical cavity or chamber in a mechanism, such as the counterpart to a piston found in a piston-driven engine.
- A container in the form of a cylinder with rounded ends for storing pressurized gas.
- An early form of phonograph recording, made on a wax cylinder.
- French: cylindre
- German: Rolle , Zylinder
- Italian: cilindro
- Spanish: cilindro
- Dutch: cilinder , cylinder
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cylinder for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.