- A sharp curve or crook; a shape resembling a hook.
- needlework made using such a hooked needle
- (music) A musical note one beat long in 4/4 time.
- (archaic) a whim or a fancy
- French: noire
- German: Viertelnote
- Italian: semiminima
- Spanish: negra
Etymology: From Old French crochet ("small hook"), from croc (with diminutive suffix -et), from Old Norse krókr ("hook"). The musical note was named so because of a small hook on its stem in black notation (in modern notation this hook is on the quaver/eighth note).
- To make needlework by looping thread with a hooked needle
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for crotchet for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.