noun (credits, -)
- (uncountable): Recognition and respect.
- I give you for owning up to your mistake.
- (uncountable, legal) A privilege of delayed payment extended to a buyer or borrower on the seller's or lender's belief that what is given will be repaid.
- (uncountable, business) The provision of resources (such as goods, services, or money) by one party (the creditor) to another party (the debtor) where that second party does not immediately pay the first party for the resources in full, and instead either arranges to pay for or to return those resources or equivalent value at a later date
- In view of your payment record, we are happy to extend further to you.
- (uncountable, US) A person's credit rating or creditworthiness, as represented by their history of borrowing and repayment (or non payment).
- What do you mean my is no good?
- (accounting) An addition to certain accounts.
- (context, tax accounting) A reduction in taxes owed, or a refund for excess taxes paid.
- Didn't you know that the IRS will refund any excess payroll taxes that you paid if you use the 45(B) general business ?
- A valuable member.
- That point guard is a to the team.
- An arbitrary unit of value, used in many token economies.
- To repair your star cruiser will cost 100,000 credits.
- Would you like to play? I put in a dollar and I've got two credits left.
Etymology: From creditum, from credere (to believe).
- Italian: credito
- German: Kredit
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for credit for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.