- a person who tends cattle
- a person who tends cattle in the US West or Southwest
- a person from the US West or Southwest
- a person who dresses like a US cowboy, especially one who wears a cowboy hat
- a fan of Country-Western music
- (context, UK, colloquial) a dishonest and incompetent independent tradesman. A cowboy plumber may collect a large fee in advance, and leave floods and the need for expensive corrective work behind.
- (slang) a king (the playing card)
Etymology: cow + boy
- French: cow-boy ou cowboy
- Spanish: vaquero(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cowboy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.