- (uncountable) A difference in lightness, brightness and/or hue between two colours that makes them more or less distinguishable.
- (uncountable) The degree of this difference.
- The red and the orange don't have much contrast between them — I can hardly tell them apart.
- (countable) A difference between two objects, people or concepts.
- Israel is a country of many contrasts.
- (uncountable) A control on a television, etc, that adjusts the amount of contrast in the images being displayed.
- German: Kontrast
Translations: Etymology: contraster, from contrastare, to resist, to withstand
- (transitive) To set in opposition in order to show the difference or differences between.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for contrast for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.