- A reduction in size or activity.
- ''The country's economic was caused by high oil prices.
- The shortening of a muscle when it is used.
- A strong and often painful shortening of the uterine muscles prior to or during childbirth.
- (grammar) a shortened word or phrase, with the missing letters represented by the apostrophe.
- "Don't" is a of "do not."
Etymology: contract + -tion.
- German: Kontraktion, Zusammenziehen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for contraction for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.