- (context, phonetics) A sound that results from the passage of air through restrictions of the oral cavity; any sound that is not the dominant sound of a syllable, the dominant sound generally being a vowel.
- A letter representing the sound of a consonant.
- Dutch: medeklinker
- French: consonne
- German: Konsonant , Mitlaut
- Italian: consonante
- Characterized by harmony or agreement.
Etymology: consonans, sounding with, from prefix con-, with, + present participle sonans, sounding, from sonare, to sound
- French: consonant
- French, consonant , consonante
- Italian: consonante or
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for consonant for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.