noun (sometimes capitalized)
- (Christianity) The prayer said before the reading of the epistle lesson, especially one found in a prayerbook, as with the Book of Common Prayer.
- He used the day's collect as the basis of his sermon.
- gather, Gather together; amass items.
- Suzanne collected all the papers she had laid out.
- get, Get; particularly, get from someone.
- A bank collects a monthly payment on a client's new car loan.
- A mortgage company collects a monthly payment on a house.
- accumulate, Accumulate similar items or items belonging to a particular theme, particularly for a hobby or recreation.
- John Henry collects stamps.
Etymology: (noun) From French collecte(verb) From French collecter
- Dutch: verzamelen, opstapelen
- German: sammeln, anhí¤ufen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for collect for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.