- Something wound in the form of a helix or spiral.
- Common name for any intra-uterine contraceptive device (Abbreviation: IUD)—the first IUDs were coil-shaped.
- (electrical) A coil of electrically conductive wire through which electricity can flow.
- German: Spule
- Spanish: bobina
- French: bobine
- Italian: bobina
- To wind or reel e.g. a wire or rope into regular rings, often around a centerpiece.
Translations: Etymology: From coillir (French: cueillir), from colligere.
- A simple transformer can be made by coiling two pieces of insulated copper wire around an iron heart.
- To wind into loops (roughly) around a common center.
- The sailor coiled the free end of the hawser on the pier.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for coil for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.