proper noun the City
- (London) popular, shortened form for City of London, the financial and commercial centre of London
- (London) the site of the original Roman Londinium
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for City for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- A large settlement, bigger than a town. In Europe a city is a place that had succeeded in obtaining the right to build a city wall, a belfort, etc., from the nobility.
- Dutch: stad(nl)f
- French: ville(fr)f
- German: Stadt(de)f
- Italian: cittí (it)f
- Spanish: urbe(es, ciudad, f}}, t-, es)f
- public; belonging to a city; of a city
Etymology: From Middle English cite < Old French cité < Latin civitas ("a union of citizens", "a citizenry").
- French: ville(fr)
- Italian: cittí (it)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for city for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.