- (geometry) The point on a line that is midway between the ends.
- (geometry) The point in the interior of a circle that is equidistant from all points on the circumference of the circle.
- (geometry) The point in the interior of a sphere that is equidistant from all points on the surface of the sphere.
- (geometry) The point in the interior of any figure of any number of dimensions that has as its coordinates the arithmetic mean of the coordinates of all points on the perimeter of the figure.
- A place where some function or activity occurs.
- shopping centre
- convention centre
- A topic that is particularly important in a given context.
- the centre of the controversy
- the centre of attention
- (basketball) The player, generally the tallest, who plays closest to the basket.
- (netball) A player who can go all over the court, except the shooting circles.
- (Icehockey) The forward that generally plays between the left wing and right wing and usually takes the faceoffs.
- (context, Canadian Football) The person who holds the ball at the beginning of each play.
Etymology: From Ancient Greek (kentron) "centre".
- Of, at, or related to a centre.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for centre for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.