verb (ceas, ing)
- (formal, intransitive) To stop.
- And with that, his twitching ceased.
- (formal, transitive) To stop doing (something).
- And with that, he ceased twitching.
Etymology: Via cesser, from cessare, frequentative of cedere, "to go away".
- French: cesser de + infinitive (1), s'arríªter de + infinitive (1)
- German: aufhí¶ren (1), einstellen (1), abbrechen (1)
- Italian: cessare (1) smettere di + infinitive
- Spanish: dejar de (1)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cease for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.