- (context, politics, uncountable) a socio-economic system based on private property rights, including the private ownership of resources or capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of a free market rather than by state control.
- (context, economics, uncountable) a socio-economic system based on the abstraction of resources into the form of capital, whether privately or state owned and regulated.
- (countable) a specific variation or implementation of either such socio-economic system
Etymology: From the (term, capitalis) via the English root (term, capital)
- Dutch: kapitalisme
- French: capitalisme(fr)m
- German: Kapitalismus(de)m
- Italian: capitalismo(it)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for capitalism for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.