- A spherically contained volume of air, especially one made from soapy liquid.
- A small spherical cavity in a solid material.
- Anything resembling a hollow sphere.
- A period of intense speculation in a market, causing prices to rise quickly to irrational levels as the metaphorical bubble expands, and then fall even more quickly as the bubble bursts.
verb (bubbl, es)
- French: bulle
- Spanish: (t, es, burbuja, f), (t, es, pompa, f) (soap bubble)
- German: Blase
Translations: Etymology: Partly imitative, also influenced by (term, burble).
- (intransitive) To produce bubbles, to rise up in bubbles (such in foods cooking).
- (context, transitive, archaic) To cheat, delude.
- (context, intransitive, Scotland, Northern England) To cry, weep.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bubble for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.