- All animals or plants of the same species or subspecies eg. a breed of tulip, a breed of animal.
- A race or lineage.
verb (breeds, breeding, bred)
- Dutch: broedsel (of animals), gebroed (of animals)
- German: Rasse
- Spanish: raza
- To sexually produce offspring.
- Of animals, to mate.
- To keep animals and have them reproduce in a way that improves the next generation"s qualities.
- To arrange the mating of specific animals.
- She wanted to her cow to the neighbor's registered bull.
- To propagate or grow plants trying to give them certain qualities.
- He tries to blue roses.
- To make sure that one's young grow up to adulthood.
- To yield or result in.
- Disaster breeds famine.
- Dutch: fokken
- German: erzeugen, hervorrufen, verursachen
- Spanish: engendrar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for breed for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.