- (heraldry) A verbal or written description of a coat of arms.
- 1894: ...it should never be forgotten that the best is that which is the most perspicuous — James Parker, A Glossary of Terms Used in Heraldry.
- (heraldry) A formalized language for describing a coat of arms.
- 1997: We must banish, therefore, the persistent but wholly erroneous notion that the heralds invented many of the terms used in and borrowed the rest from the everyday lexicon of terms... — Gerard J. Brault, Early Blazon
- (heraldry): A coat of arms or a banner depicting a coat of arms.
- French: blason, blasonnement
- German: Blasonierung
- Italian: blason, blasonatura
- Spanish: blasón
- (transitive) To describe a coat of arms.
- 1889: After Blazoning the Shield, you proceed to the exterior ornaments viz.: The Helmet, Lambrequin, Crest, Supporters, Badge, and Motto — Charles Norton Elvin, A Dictionary of Heraldry
Etymology: From blason "shield".
- French: blasonner, armorier
- German: beschreiben
- Italian: blasonare, divisare
- Spanish: blasonar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for blazon for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.